Why now is really the best time for music lovers.
In my relatively short time on this planet, here are the many different ways I’ve purchased and listened to music. Oh, so many ways that the music industry has zapped us music lovers over the years.
- Vinyl 45 records on mono record player
- Vinyl LP records with high fidelity turntable and stereo
- Cassette Tapes and mix tapes on tape deck (Luckily, I avoided the whole 8-track tape thing) But my Dad’s 1968 Olds Tornado did have one in the dash.
- Recording cassette mix tapes from vinyl records and playing them on my first Alpine car stereo (I had arrived)
- Cassette tapes in a Walkman
- Compact discs on a compact disc player plugged into home stereo
- Compact discs and cassettes on a boombox
- Compact discs on portable Sony Discman
- CDs, Concert DVDs, cassettes and vinyl LPs with 6 speaker home theater surround sound system. (why would I ever need anything else to listen to music?)
- Six Disc CD changer in the car with cassette player and AM/FM radio
- MP3 Player (one of the early versions, can’t remember how I even got the music on the thing.)
- Using my laptop to “Rip” my CDs to iTunes and then sync them on my iPod
- iTunes on laptop with Harman Kardon surround sound speakers and subwoofer
- iPod with iTunes. Discovered the iTunes store along with everyone else.
- Burning CDs from tracks downloaded on Napster, LimeWire, shared with friends
- Streaming commercial free radio stations like Radio Paradise on my Mac with various desktop apps including iTunes, Chrome and Safari browser extensions
- XM satellite radio
- iPhone with iTunes
- Streaming music via apps on my iPhone, like Last FM, then Pandora
- Streaming music on Tivo, Roku and Apple TV with Surround Sound Digital Amplifier
- Streaming Music from Apps to Bluetooth car stereo and a Bluetooth HD home receiver
- Amazon Prime Music via Amazon Music apps
I’d almost be afraid to total up what I’ve spent on music, including all the gadgets, CDs clubs, and concerts. But the problem is, I love music. I basically listen to it all the time and I still use many of the items on this crazy list, including the vinyl records.
I am sitting here in my office looking at a very tall tower of dusty CDs. [Read more…] about Dusty CDs and the Price of Music.